ASCB members can apply for up to $1,000 to promote science outreach projects such as student lab visits, science fairs, or other ideas for engaging the public. These activities are organized by the ASCB Committee for Postdocs and Students (COMPASS).
Why should you participate in science outreach?
As an expert in your field, you have the responsibility to communicate scientific concepts and be a resource for curious minds. In return, you will:
- Develop your ability to communicate complex ideas in a way that everyone can understand
- By getting out there and promoting science to the general community, you learn to talk to people from all walks of life
- Network across different disciplines, identities, and career stages, both within and outside the scientific community
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
Active ASCB members, with priority given to student and postdoc members.
- A description of the proposed event, answering the following questions:
- What are the goals of the event? Note: For the 2023 deadlines, projects need a contingency plan in the event there is a shift in local and national public health guidelines.
- Who is the event for?
- What will you do during the event?
- When will the event happen? (event must be complete by the end of 2023)
- Where will you host the event?
- How will the event benefit the local community/why do you think it’s important?
- What is the message you would like your attendees to leave with?
- Do you have any additional sources of funding? If so, how much and what will it cover?
- Organizers’ CV. Outreach experience (if any) should be highlighted
- Proposed budget, itemizing and justifying the spending
o Fundable items include: Services to facilitate virtual events, tangible supplies to facilitate the event, shipping costs, books, tangible prizes, etc.
o We cannot fund any of the following items: alcohol, honorariums, salaries, or monetary prizes.o Budget MUST be itemized, and each item justified as to what it will be used for. Please read these Sample Budgets
- Description of how you will document the event (photos, essay, examples of student’s work, edited video)
- How you plan to acknowledge ASCB funding for your meeting
Note: All funds must be reimbursed by the end of the calendar year.
Questions about Outreach grants? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for Outreach Ideas?
Check out this video of an outreach program that helped science become art!
View Past Awardees Blog Posts
- COMPASS Outreach Grant awardees adapted creative ways to deliver virtual science outreach
- ASCB COMPASS Outreach Spotlight: Caribbean Youth Development Institute
- COMPASS Outreach Spotlight: Stories in Science
- COMPASS Outreach Grant Spotlight: Science Advocacy for Youngsters Initiatives
- 2018 COMPASS Outreach Grant Recipients Spring/Summer 2018
- 2017 Compass Outreach Grant Recipients
- 2017 Compass Outreach Grant Recipients (Fall)
- 2016 Compass Outreach Grant Recipients
- 2015 From the Autism Spectrum to Australia ASCB Outreach Grants Fund Innovative Science Outreach Programs
- 2014 Outreach Grants will promote Basic Science from Galway to San Quentin Prison
January 23, 2023
May 26, 2023
September 8, 2023