ASCB is seeking to expand leadership in science outreach, including science literacy for the public and advocacy/public policy by providing funding and support for scientists with bold ideas to engage their communities in the process of science.
ASCB is seeking to:
- Help scientists reach public audiences to build trust in scientists and increase appreciation and understanding of science.
- Enable scientists to undertake a significant pilot/case study to become competitive for funding from other sources to sustain and even expand their project.
- Support scientists who may want to transition to a career in public engagement or increase the professionalism of their approach to engaging the public.
- Provide mentoring and networking opportunities to scientists who want to expand their public engagement work.
ASCB will offer another round of funding in 2020. Applications will open mid-January and close March 31.
The ASCB Public Engagement Grants will provide funding, mentoring, and project assessment directly to ASCB members interested in engaging with their community and gaining experience in public outreach.
ASCB will award grants from $10,000-$35,000 to pay for materials and supplies, marketing, and salaries. We hope to catalyze pilot projects to enable them to become competitive for even more substantial funding. These grants can be thought of as bridge funds to help individuals move from completely homegrown efforts to fully funded efforts.
ASCB will also provide grantees with:
1) Access from start to finish to the Center for Research Evaluation for individual help developing assessment tools.
2) Access to mentors
3) Funds to travel to the ASCB|EMBO Meeting as well as a science communications meeting or training program (e.g., AAAS, NABI).
4) Networking via a private group on the ASCB Community.