We are monitoring the situation with COVID-19 and will make a final decision on whether to hold the courses after applications are reviewed, but before registration takes place.
Join one of these week-long, hands-on courses to help you transition to a job in biotech, medtech, or pharma. Discover the business side of science, network, and learn interdisciplinary skills through a team project. Of the 182 attendees in 2014-2017, 67% now have jobs in industry, regulatory affairs, or tech transfer. Scholarships ranging from $200-$400 are available.
We are aiming for 50 attendees in each course. Applications close March 31.
Who Should Apply?
- PhD students, graduate students, and postdocs in health, science, and medical programs who wish to explore opportunities to implement their expertise in a biomedical business career
- Academics in the health/medical areas who are looking for a condensed, brief overview of the biomedical business world and how they can fit in
- Gain an understanding of how science is conducted and commercialized in industry through case study analysis and group problem-solving exercises. Topics will include commercializing science, business models, market assessment, innovation management, and building networks and entrepreneurship.
- Learn about career paths for scientists in industry, and how to leverage your analytical PhD skill set for a professional career
- Make connections with industry guests and like-minded course participants
- Learn interdisciplinary teamwork through a team project
- Get advice on building a resume, dissecting job postings, and landing job interviews
East Coast: May 31-June 6, 2020, Lowell, MA, offered by the American Society for Cell Biology and University of Massachusetts Lowell, the Manning School of Business. 2 University Ave, Lowell, MA 01854
West Coast: July 12-18, 2020, Claremont, CA, offered by the American Society for Cell Biology and Keck Graduate Institute. 535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
Who Is Eligible to Apply:
All are welcome to apply (international and U.S.), though the course is primarily designed for the following:
- Graduate students with at least two years of scientific research experience
- Non-tenure-track junior scientists
The registration fee for the course is $875, which includes tuition, curriculum materials, lunches, snacks, several dinners, and dorm accommodations for six nights. Participants are responsible for all travel to and from both locations.
Thanks to generous support from Biogen, partial scholarships will be available ranging from $200-$400, with priority given to those with the greatest need.
- You do not need to be an ASCB member to apply, but you will need to become an ASCB member if you are accepted into the course.
- In the application you will be asked to briefly describe (350 words or less) why you think industry is a better fit for you than academia and how this course can help you.
Of 46 participants, 19 now have nonacademic/industry jobs
Of 53 participants, 28 now have nonacademic/industry jobs
Of 50 participants, 36 now have nonacademic/industry jobs
Of 40 participants, 35 now have nonacademic/industry jobs
Of 41 participants 34 now have nonacademic/industry jobs
The Biotech Course was a fantastic experience. It helped me understand how business decisions are made in the biotech and pharmaceutical industries by introducing key concepts in business development, marketing, commercialization, social networks and entrepreneurship. More importantly, I got to know and work with many truly amazing people who are also trying to make a transition from academia to industry.”
“The Biotech Course is very helpful for whoever's looking to transition into industry. And it’s reassuring that a lot of people are in the same boat as you. What wonderful people! Lots learnt. Lots more to go.”
“My postdoc attended the ASCB West Coast Biotech [in 2019]. He has been interested in transitioning to biotech for a couple of years now. He had applied for several jobs prior to the course, but lacking an inside perspective and the right advice had not been successful. Within a few weeks of the ASCB biotech course he obtained a position through someone he met at the course. Thank you very much—very useful.”
—Karen Oegema, University of California, San Diego
|Commercialization of Science||Market Assessment||Bioscience Business Models||Bioscience Business Strategy /Innovation||Social Networks and Entrepreneurship||Travel Home|
Career Development Workshop
|Lunch and Speaker||Lunch and
|Lunch and Talk|
|Networking Reception and Dinner||Project introduction||Work on Projects||Work on Projects||Work on Projects||Present Projects|
View Articles about Past Courses
Contact Thea Clarke, ASCB Director of Communications and Education, via email or phone at 301-347-9304