Applications for 2020 will open in February and close at the end of March
Join one of these week-long, hands-on courses to help you transition to a job in biotech, medtech, or pharma. Discover the business side of science, network, and learn interdisciplinary skills through a team project. Of the 182 attendees in 2014-2017, 67% now have jobs in industry, regulatory affairs, or tech transfer. Scholarships ranging from $200-$400 are available.
Who Should Apply?
- PhD students, graduate students, and postdocs in health, science, and medical programs who wish to explore opportunities to implement their expertise in a biomedical business career
- Academics in the health/medical areas who are looking for a condensed, brief overview of the biomedical business world and how they can fit in
- Gain an understanding of how science is conducted and commercialized in industry through case study analysis and group problem-solving exercises. Topics will include commercializing science, business models, market assessment, innovation management, and building networks and entrepreneurship.
- Learn about career paths for scientists in industry, and how to leverage your analytical PhD skill set for a professional career
- Make connections with industry guests and like-minded course participants
- Learn interdisciplinary teamwork through a team project
- Get advice on building a resume, dissecting job postings, and landing job interviews
East Coast: May 31-June 6, 2020, Lowell, MA, offered by the American Society for Cell Biology and University of Massachusetts Lowell, the Manning School of Business. 2 University Ave, Lowell, MA 01854
West Coast: July 12-18, 2020, Claremont, CA, offered by the American Society for Cell Biology and Keck Graduate Institute. 535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
Who Is Eligible to Apply:
All are welcome to apply (international and U.S.), though the course is primarily designed for the following:
- Graduate students with at least two years of scientific research experience
- Non-tenure-track junior scientists
The registration fee for the course is $875, which includes tuition, curriculum materials, lunches, snacks, several dinners, and dorm accommodations for six nights. Participants are responsible for all travel to and from both locations.
Thanks to generous support from Biogen, partial scholarships will be available ranging from $200-$400, with priority given to those with the greatest need.
- You do not need to be an ASCB member to apply, but you will need to become an ASCB member if you are accepted into the course.
- In the application you will be asked to briefly describe (350 words or less) why you think industry is a better fit for you than academia and how this course can help you.
Of those attending the course in:
23 have nonacademic/industry jobs
2 have pharma postdocs
6 have faculty positions
34 have nonacademic/industry jobs
3 have faculty positions
1 is a biomedical engineer
33 have nonacademic/industry jobs
1 has a postdoc in pharma
1 is an MD/PhD
1 is a biomedical engineer
1 has a faculty position
30 have nonacademic/industry jobs
1 is an MD
4 have faculty positions
“My postdoc attended the ASCB West Coast Biotech [in 2019]. He has been interested in transitioning to biotech for a couple of years now. He had applied for several jobs prior to the course, but lacking an inside perspective and the right advice had not been successful. Within a few weeks of the ASCB biotech course he obtained a position through someone he met at the course. Thank you very much—very useful.”
—Karen Oegema, University of California, San Diego
|Commercialization of Science||Market Assessment||Bioscience Business Models||Bioscience Business Strategy /Innovation||Social Networks and Entrepreneurship||Travel Home|
Career Development Workshop
|Lunch and Speaker||Lunch and
|Lunch and Talk|
|Networking Reception and Dinner||Project introduction||Work on Projects||Work on Projects||Work on Projects||Present Projects|
View Articles about Past Courses
Contact Thea Clarke, ASCB Director of Communications and Education, via email or phone at 301-347-9304