About the Grant Grant Application Requirements About the Grant
Postdocs and graduate students wishing to organize a small meeting that benefits their local cell biology community can apply for an Early Career Meeting Grant to help fund the meeting.
What Does ASCB Offer?
- Funding up to $1,500
- Advertising for the meeting on the ASCB website and in the ASCB Newsletter
- Code for 50% off ASCB membership for your attendees
- Emails sent from ASCB to targeted audience (if requested)
- A pdf flyer (if requested)
- A registration page (if requested; please note: we cannot provide registration pages to meetings collecting a registration fee)
- Host meeting within the calendar year it is approved
- Acknowledge ASCB on your website and all marketing materials (flyers, emails, etc.).
- Provide ASCB with a link to your meeting website and registration page
- Send an evaluation form (provided by ASCB) to meeting attendees and provide feedback to ASCB
- Encourage meeting attendees to join ASCB. You will be provided with membership materials (50% membership discount promo-code offered to meeting attendees, for first-time members only).
- Provide the ASCB with a list of registered attendees, including email addresses, within one week following the meeting, if you use your own registration system or you have people sign up onsite
- Send itemized receipts of eligible expenses up to the amount awarded within 30 days of the meeting
- Write a brief, 120-word newsletter article (optional, but encouraged) with highlights of the meeting and provide photos (if available) and send within 30 days of the meeting
Applications Will Only Be Accepted If
- Organizers are current ASCB members
- Organizers are graduate students or postdocs
- A need for the meeting is defined
Successful Applications Include
- Opportunities for students and postdocs to present
- New applicants/organizers (particularly for repeat meetings)
- Innovative programming that aligns with ASCB’s mission and scientific focus
- Institutional diversity of organizers, if in a research dense area (e.g., San Francisco, Boston)
- Maximal diversity among speakers in gender and race (Click here for our Women in Cell Biology referral list)
- Geographical need
- Detailed budget that reports funding and/or in-kind donations already received and/or pending. If you are planning to collect registration fees, indicate as well
Note: Those who have previously been awarded an Early Career Meeting Grant or Local Meeting funding in the past are welcome to apply again. However, we encourage applications for repeat meetings to have new organizers and originality. Due to the popularity of this initiative, ASCB may only be able to support repeat meeting grant applications if funds allow and organizers may receive less funding.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Grant Application Requirements
- All organizers must be graduate students or postdocs and ASCB members at the time application is submitted (institutional diversity is encouraged).
- There must be a minimum of two co-organizers, with a maximum of four.
- CVs for all of the co-organizers (two-page maximum/each; format of your choice).
- A description of the meeting (700 words or less), which should include:
- Topic and goal(s) of the meeting
- Intended audience and institutions to be invited
- How the meeting will benefit the local community
- Intended date of the meeting (meetings must be held within one year of funding approval)
- Please note that applications for career development meetings and activities will not be approved if the organizers’ institutions currently promote other career development activities for this field.
- Upload an outline of the meeting and sessions (500 words or less)
- Number and duration of student/postdoc talks, faculty talks, poster sessions, breakout discussion groups, etc. (does not need to be in final form, but should provide enough information to understand the proposed event)
- Address how you plan to ensure diversity among your selected speakers, paying particular attention to the representation of women and underrepresented minorities
- A proposed budget
- Grants are limited to $1,500 (but may be funded at less)
- Report other funding and/or in-kind donations already received and/or pending
- The money may be used to cover the direct costs of the meeting. Examples include non-alcoholic refreshments (e.g., coffee, snacks, lunch, etc.), facility rental, speaker travel, printing costs associated with the meeting, etc. We encourage organizers to invite speakers from the local area. However, funds can cover travel for one speaker outside of the local area (economy air fare plus two nights’ hotel), if the travel costs are low.
- A larger budget that is suitably justified may be awarded more in exceptional cases, depending on the availability of funds. If additional funds are needed, please provide additional explanation why it is needed.
- Grant money cannot be used on any of the following:
- Facility maintenance
- Speaker fees/honoraria
- Indirect costs (examples include, but are not limited to, executive oversight, accounting, grants management, legal expenses, utilities, facility maintenance
- How you plan to acknowledge ASCB funding for your meeting.