Join us May 31, 2019 at University of Georgia, Athens. This day-long conference for a teaching intensive audience will include education research and scientific plenaries, a poster session, networking lunch, afternoon workshops, and mixer. Limited, needs-based travel award reimbursements will be available, thanks to support from the University of Georgia Division of Biological Sciences.
- Workshop Abstract Submission Deadline: March 4 (with notifications by March 18) Abstracts are invited for 75-minute workshop sessions appropriate for undergraduate biology educators (standard classroom and AV set-up will be provided; conference hosts will work with presenters to find space best suited to their workshop). Workshop abstracts should include: 1) Learning objectives for the session and 2) An explanation of how participants will be engaged/how the workshop will be structured to help participants achieve the objectives. No abstract submission fee.
- Poster Abstract Submission Deadline: April 20 Abstracts are invited for posters presenting educational innovations, education research, and science research that would be of interest to undergraduate biology educators. No abstract submission fee.
- Registration Deadline: May 24
- Registration Cost: $40 ASCB Member, $50 nonmember. Not a member? Join here
- 8:00 am Registration and Coffee sponsored by the UGA SEER Center
- 9:00 am Welcome and Plenaries sponsored by the UGA Center for Teaching and Learning
- Science research plenary by Dr. Dorothy Lerit, Assistant Professor of Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine: Uncovering Novel Paradigms of Centrosome Regulation
- Education research plenary by Dr. Julie Stanton, Assistant Professor of Cell Biology, and Birook Mekonnen, Graduate Co-Researcher, University of Georgia: Recognizing the Community Cultural Wealth of Successful Black Science Majors
- 10:30 am Break
- 11:00 am-12:30 pm Posters
- 12:30-2:00 pm Networking Lunch sponsored by Macmillan
- 2:00-3:15 pm Workshop Session 1
- 3:15-3:45 pm Break
- 3:45-5:00 pm Workshop Session 2
- 5:00 pm Mixer
Workshop sessions will address a range of topics from effective teaching strategies to careers in education to conducting biology education research. Posters presenting science research, innovative teaching strategies, and education research are all welcomed. All sessions will be designed for a undergraduate teaching-intensive biologist audience.
Lunch is supported by Macmillan Learning
Macmillan Learning is proud to be a leading publisher of high-impact, highly influential resources for the biology classroom— from landmark textbooks to breakthrough educational media.
Coverdell Center for the Biomedical and Health Sciences, 500 DW Brooks Drive, Athens, GA 30602
Hotel: University of Georgia Hotel & Center for Continuing Education, 1197 S Lumpkin St., Athens, GA 30602 (706) 542-2134, (800) 884-1381
Meeting attendees can make hotel reservations at the discounted group rate through April 28 by going to the hotel website or calling 706-542-2134 and entering/referencing the group code (91165). The rate is $101 for a classic room with one queen or king bed, complimentary WiFi, parking for one car, and access to all onsite facilities (including a local shuttle, bicycles, a fitness room, etc.).
Parking for hotel guests (included in the room rate) at South Campus Deck: 100 Green St., Athens, GA 30602
Parking for those staying elsewhere at the Carlton Street Deck: 125 Smith St., Athens, GA 30602