Join us May 31, 2019 at University of Georgia, Athens. This day-long conference for a teaching intensive audience will include education research and scientific plenaries, a poster session, networking lunch, afternoon workshops, and mixer.
Needs-based travel award reimbursements of up to $250 have been made available, thanks to support from the University of Georgia Division of Biological Sciences, Pearson, and MiniOne Systems.
- 8:00 am Registration and Coffee sponsored by the UGA SEER Center
- 9:00 am S175 Coverdell Welcome and Plenaries sponsored by the UGA Center for Teaching and Learning
- Science research plenary by Dr. Dorothy Lerit, Assistant Professor of Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine: Uncovering Novel Paradigms of Centrosome Regulation
- Education research plenary by Dr. Julie Stanton, Assistant Professor of Cell Biology, and Birook Mekonnen, Graduate Co-Researcher, University of Georgia: Recognizing the Community Cultural Wealth of Successful Black Science Majors
- 10:30 am Break
- 11:00 am-12:30 pm Posters in Coverdell Atrium
- 12:30-2:00 pm Georgia Center Networking Lunch sponsored by Macmillan
- 2:00-3:15 pm Workshops Session 1
- Proteins don’t have to be boring (Shane Austin, University of the West Indies) Science Learning Center 145
- Using deliberative democracy in the introductory biology classroom(Heather Tinsley, University of Montevallo) Coverdell N104
- “I can be successful here!” Practical ways to promote inclusion in undergraduate education (Erin Dolan, University of Georgia) Science Learning Center 345
- Theoretical Frameworks 101: An Essential Part of Educational Research (Julie Luft, University of Georgia) Coverdell S141
- 3:15-3:45 pm Break
- 3:45-5:00 pm Workshops Session 2
- Including metacognition in our courses (Julie Stanton, University of Georgia) Science Learning Center 345
- Building a science curriculum from the inside-out (Kari Dugger, University of Alabama at Birmingham) Science Learning Center 145
- Preparing and applying for a teaching-focused academic position (Amy Abdulovic-Cui, Augusta University) Coverdell N104
- Introduction to qualitative research (Jennifer Thompson, University of Georgia) Coverdell S141
- 5:00 pm Mixer at UGA Hotel and Conference Center
Lunch is supported by Macmillan Learning
Macmillan Learning is proud to be a leading publisher of high-impact, highly influential resources for the biology classroom— from landmark textbooks to breakthrough educational media.
Coverdell Center for the Biomedical and Health Sciences, 500 DW Brooks Drive, Athens, GA 30602
Hotel: University of Georgia Hotel & Center for Continuing Education, 1197 S Lumpkin St., Athens, GA 30602 (706) 542-2134, (800) 884-1381
Meeting attendees can make hotel reservations at the discounted group rate through April 28 by going to the hotel website or calling 706-542-2134 and entering/referencing the group code (91165). The rate is $101 for a classic room with one queen or king bed, complimentary WiFi, parking for one car, and access to all onsite facilities (including a local shuttle, bicycles, a fitness room, etc.).
Parking for hotel guests (included in the room rate) at South Campus Deck: 100 Green St., Athens, GA 30602
Parking for those staying elsewhere at the Carlton Street Deck: 125 Smith St., Athens, GA 30602