Special Interest Subgroups
Member-Organized Special Interest Subgroups take a deep dive into the seven scientific meeting tracks by exploring a wide-range of specialty subjects under the umbrella of each topic area. These sessions are 3 hours in length and abstracts are submitted and selected for talks. Organizers can solicit speakers to submit abstracts, and are encouraged to select additional talks from other abstracts submitted to their session.
There will be a total of 28 Special Interest Subgroup sessions at the Cell Bio 2020 meeting with seven sessions each on Saturday morning from 8:30 am to 11:30 am, Saturday afternoon from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm, Monday afternoon from 3:45 pm to 6:45 pm, and Wednesday morning from 8:15 am to 11:15 am.
Now Accepting Applications for Subgroup Organizers
Subgroups are completely organized by members from session idea to execution, including session format, speaker selection, and schedule lineup. We are seeking organizers interested in running a Subgroup session at Cell Bio 2020.
Eligibility Requirements: ASCB Members
Application Deadline: Friday, May 1, 2020
How To Apply
Special Interest Subgroup Organizer Application Requirements
- All applicants are required to login with your ASCB account first. If you do not have an account, you will need to create one before applying.
- You must:
- Select a primary scientific track, with an optional secondary scientific track.
- Identify a Title and Description for the session.
- Propose speakers to participate in the session.
Subgroup Organizer Responsibilities
- Identify and invite speakers to participate in your Subgroup session. Names of speakers are submitted during the application process.
- Inform all invited speakers to submit abstracts by July 30, 2020. All Subgroup speakers must submit abstracts through the Cell Bio 2020 Abstract Submission system.
- Review abstracts submitted to your Subgroup topic and select abstracts to design and schedule your session. The review period will take place from July 31 through August 10.
- Register for Cell Bio 2020. All speakers and organizers must be registered for Cell Bio 2020. Admission will not be granted if individuals are not registered.
- Communicate with speakers about their role and the meeting policies. Ensure speakers are registered and understand they are responsible for their travel expenses.
- Submit any program materials you wish to print and distribute to attendees to SPARGO for approval by October 30.
- Organizers may incur optional expenses, beyond what ASCB provides.
Subgroup Organizers must be available during the following time periods:
- Friday, July 31 through Monday, August 10 - Abstract Review and Selection Period
You and your accepted speakers must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Not to defame or slander/libel anyone
- Not to use copyright/trademark materials without permission
- Not to speak on anything other than what was agreed to
ASCB will provide the following facilities, services, and incurred expenses:
- Five (5) complimentary abstract submissions for organizers and/or invited speakers
- A meeting room in the Philadelphia Convention Center
- Audio/Visual equipment and a projectionist in the session room
- Marketing of the session on the Cell Bio 2020 website, mobile app, and meeting program
Meeting Room Setup, Audio/Visual, and Marketing are provided by ASCB. If you have questions or require changes, contact Danielle Raiford by October 15, 2020. Any changes may incur additional expenses.
Meeting Room Setup
ASCB will provide a meeting room with chairs set theater-style.
ASCB will provide a projectionist and the following A/V equipment:
- LCD projector
- MAC* with a mouse and keyboard
- Confidence monitor
- Video switcher
- Laser pointer
- Speaker timer
- Lighted lectern with microphone
- Head table with three (3) chairs with one (1) table microphone
- Aisle microphone
*A PC is not a standard item provided in the A/V package. If you, or one of your speakers, requires a PC, please contact Alison Harris in advance of the meeting.
Marketing & Signage
ASCB & EMBO will promote your session in the Cell Bio 2020 website, mobile app, and meeting program. ASCB & EMBO will provide a sign outside the meeting room.
Subgroup Organizers are responsible for Additional A/V Equipment, Food & Beverage, Signage, Program Materials, and Fundraising and the associated expenses. ASCB or EMBO will not pay for these expenses. Please contact the vendor listed below directly for assistance, or your own vendor, if one is not listed.
Additional A/V Equipment
Additional A/V equipment not provided by ASCB must be ordered directly through Projection (PPT). You will be billed directly by Projection. For more information, please email Holly Alderton or contact her at 301-575-2754.
Food & Beverage
Food and/or beverage must be ordered through Aramark at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. No outside food or beverage can be served. You will be billed directly by Aramark. For more information, contact Bernard Carpenter at Carpenter-Bernard@aramark.com.
No signage, other than what the ASCB provides, will be permitted outside the meeting room or taped to walls/doors.
Program materials for print and distribution to attendees must be approved in advance for exhibitor and sponsorship compliance. Submit materials to SPARGO, Inc., Exhibit, Sponsorship, Advertising Sales and Management by October 30.
Contact SPARGO, Inc, Exhibit, Sponsorship, and Advertising Sales and Management to discuss fundraising opportunities.