The Director of Membership is responsible for the development, planning, and management of the ASCB’s membership initiatives including membership applications process, member retention, member recruitment efforts, and committee and program management. The Director develops regular reports on membership metrics and may recommend and develop new member programs and services. This position works closely with an Executive Volunteer of the Society and supervises a part-time staff member.
Membership and Marketing
- Develop monthly reports on membership metrics; work with the Finance Department and CEO on operational and budgetary issues.
- Develop, organize and execute programs and initiatives designed to increase membership in collaboration with other departments; provide analysis of existing programs and membership statistics as well as membership retention rates.
- Write membership and sponsorship recruitment materials, appeal letters, brochures, and create awareness of member benefits; jointly develop innovative marketing strategies and implement creative tactics to grow membership with the Communications Department.
- Oversee the continual analysis of all email campaigns to monitor the success of marketing campaigns and to determine membership trends and demographics
- Maintain ASCB membership database in coordination with the IT department by ensuring timely accuracy of all membership records.
- Ensure sponsorships and donations are accurately acknowledged and tracked.
- Motivate and educate staff to participate in membership promotion and development.
- Provide members with white-glove service and respond to member inquires in a timely manner.
Committee and Program Management
- Serve as the staff liaison to Membership Committee. Lead projects and key programs that will increase member engagement and visibility. Keep the Membership Committee engaged to serve as content expert in the functional area of membership. Oversee the strategic direction of this volunteer group.
International Affairs Committee
- Serve as the staff liaison to International Affairs Committee by being a content expert in the functional area of international expansion and engagement, and oversee the strategic direction of this committee. Organize, plan, and execute Annual Meeting Funding sessions, roundtables and international exchange fair. Spearhead projects that establish and foster international partnerships.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Ambassadors. Create roles and duties and energize the group to serve as the local voice for the Society through promotion of ASCB events and membership through their institutions and their personal contacts.
- Work with the Finance Department to help reconcile dues, journal sales, and donations. Prepare membership report for the auditors and demonstrate checks, balances and procedural details for membership dues reconciliation.
- Troubleshoot and follow-up on programming issues with the database, MyASCB and online membership application, registration, abstract submission and renewal process.
- Serve as a primary contact for Annual Meeting registrations process, registration reports for Meeting and Finance Departments.
- Manage and negotiate relationships with award vendors to ensure appropriate product/services are delivered timely, accurately and within budget.
- Customer/ Client Focus
- Program or Project Management
- Strong Organizational Skills
- Teamwork Orientation
- Technical Capacity
- 5+ years of managerial and association experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- iMIS experience is strongly preferred.
- Project management experience (minimum of one year’s experience).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A “doer” with a keen sense of urgency, excellent follow-up, and attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure and on tight deadlines while maintaining professional relationships with colleagues at all times.
- Demonstrates an interest in ASCB’s mission.
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance, the Staff Accountant will be responsible for assisting with all accounting tasks in a professional, accurate and timely manner.
This position is a high profile position and while directly supporting the Director of Finance, it will interact with all employees throughout the organization as well as outside members.
- Responsible for accounts receivable and accounts payable duties and reconciliations
- Reconciles various balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Creates financial graphs and charts for financial statements and data
- Assists with the creation, review and import of the annual budget
- Assists with audit and tax schedules
- Coordinates and participates Audit Committee meetings
- Assists in preparing data and reports for Audit Committee and Council meetings
Qualifications and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
- At least 1 year of experience working in an accounting department
- Experience with non-profit membership associations preferred
- Strong Excel skills – proficiency with charts and graphs
- Experience with accounting and membership software: Microsoft SL – Solomon and iMis software preferred
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Analytical Thinking
- Pride of Work
- Work well in a small team environment – collaboration
- Customer-Service Oriented – timely response to member requests