Do you want to help shape the ongoing revolution in scientific communication? If so, the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) seeks an innovative, forward-thinking leader with a bold vision for the future of publishing and data sharing. As Editor-in-Chief (EiC) for the journal Molecular Biology of the Cell (MBoC) the ideal candidate will work with the ASCB to lead us through a period of transformative change and help to create a new paradigm to shape the future of scientific publishing. The new EiC must be committed to raising the profile of the journal and the Editorial Board, but will be free to pursue new ideas in peer review and publishing outside of historical confines.
As the primary research publication for the ASCB and a core journal for the cell biology community, MBoC is an ideal platform to pursue a new vision for high-quality, high-profile peer review and scientific publishing. MBoC already has a history of innovation. These include: offering open-access of manuscripts upon acceptance and 2 months post-publication; creating a new manuscript transfer network with the Journal of Cell Biology and the Journal of Cell Science; and developing special topical editions on quantitative cell biology, forces on and within cells, and stem cells.
Leadership functions of the EiC include:
- Work with the ASCB Council and its Executive Committee to develop policies and new paradigms related to peer review and scientific publication
- Work with the ASCB leadership and Editorial Board members to develop and implement ideas for raising MBoC’s profile and its benefits to cell biology community
- Advocate for the interests of both readers and contributors by ensuring that MBoC offers a fair, fast, and thorough review process that provides a clear and constructive decision;
Recruit and engage Editorial Board members.
The ideal EiC will be:
- Forward thinking
- Energetic, motivated and motivating
- A leader in the cell biology community
The EiC position is an independent contract position supported by a stipend and by staff at ASCB. The 5-year term will begin January 1, 2020, with the expectation that the successful candidate will become involved with the journal in July 2019 in order to overlap with the present EiC.
To self-nominate or nominate someone for this position, please send a statement of interest and the candidate’s CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line MBoC EiC nomination.