Top Row: David Asai, Kerry Bloom, Anthony Bretscher, Mary Dasso; Second Row: Erin Dolan, Ian Macara, Erika Matunis, David Mitchell; Third Row: Denise Montell, Gregory Pazour, Birgit Satir, Susan Strome; Bottom Row: Vassie Ware, Susan Wente, Mark Winey, Xin Xiang
The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) is pleased to present its cohort of 16 new Fellows for 2019.
“Through the ASCB Fellows program, we acknowledge the scope and diversity of the Society’s membership. Our Fellows represent not only an elite group of scientists who have contributed significantly to the body of knowledge about cell biology and to the community of scientists studying the cell, but also individuals who have demonstrated throughout their careers their commitment to the mission of the Society,” said Erika Shugart, the chief executive officer for ASCB.
Election as a Fellow of ASCB is an honor bestowed upon ASCB members by their peers. The list of approved Fellow nominees is reviewed and approved by the ASCB Council. The new cohort of ASCB Fellows will be formally recognized before the keynote speech at the 2019 ASCB|EMBO Meeting in Washington, DC, Dec. 7.
The new ASCB Fellows include:
- David Asai, Senior Director of Science Education, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Kerry Bloom, Thad L. Beyle Distinguished Professor and Chair of Biology; Professor of Cancer Cell Biology, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- Anthony Bretscher, Professor of Cell Biology in the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University
- Mary Dasso, Senior Investigator, Section on Cell Cycle Regulation, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health
- Erin Dolan, Georgia Athletic Association Professor of Innovative Science Education, University of Georgia
- Ian Macara, Chair of the Department of Cell & Developmental Biology, Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University
- Erika Matunis, Professor of Cell Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- David Mitchell, Professor, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Denise Montell, Duggan Professor and Distinguished Professor, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Gregory Pazour, Professor of Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine
- Birgit Satir, Professor in Anatomy and Structural Biology, Albert Einstein Medical College
- Susan Strome, Distinguished Professor of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Vassie Ware, Professor of Molecular Biology and Co-Director of the HHMI Bioscience Program, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- Susan Wente, Interim Chancellor/Provost and Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University
- Mark Winey, Dean of the College of Biological Sciences, University of California, Davis
- Xin Xiang, Professor of Biochemistry, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
About the Author:
Mary Spiro is ASCB's Science Writer and Social Media Manager.