Happy Pride, everyone! This is the time of the year we celebrate diversity and equality for LGBTQ+ people across the nation and the entire world! The achievements reached by the LGBTQ+ community in the last several years did not come easily. Some LGBTQ+ rights are still threatened in specific states in the United States. In some countries, LGBTQ+ rights are minimal or nonexistent, and hate crimes against LGBTQ+ people are on the rise. So let’s celebrate and cheer, but keep our attention and focus on a safer, more diverse, and inclusive scientific workplace.
ASCB’s LGBTQ+ Committee wants to celebrate this month with the entire community of cell biologists. We have several things planned:
- On Twitter, the Twitter account @CellLgbtq will tweet interesting posts about LGBTQ+ in STEM.
- Our LGBTQ+ Committee will have a “Twitter Takeover” day on ASCB’s Twitter account, @ASCBiology.
- We will publish new blog posts throughout June on the ASCB website and have a feature article in this month’s ASCB Newsletter.
- We will have a #ThrowbackThursday to remind us of so many great articles and blogs we have published over the last few years.
- Finally, we will host the free webinar “Find Yourself, Find Your Allies: a Trans Scientist’s Journey into Activism” with Claire Thomas, Associate Professor at Penn State University, on June 20 at 2:00 pm EST. Look for a registration link coming soon at https://www.ascb.org/meetings-events/webinars/
We are also happy to announce that LGBTQ+ Travel Grants for the Cell Bio 2022 Meeting will be available! Check this webpage https://www.ascb.org/grants-awards/travel-grants/ for information on how to apply. We hope you will celebrate this important month with us. Show your support!
Bruno, Fred, and the ASCB LGBTQ+ Committee
About the Author:
Bruno Da Rocha-Azevedo is the co-chair of the LGBTQ+ Committee and works as a Senior Scientist at Eikon Therapeutics in Hayward, CA. He was a member of ASCB’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Taskforce and a past COMPASS co-chair (2015-2016). E-mail: email@example.com Twitter: @brunodra.@brunodra
Fred Chang is a Professor at UCSF and current Co-Chair of the LGBTQ+ Committee at ASCB. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Lab website: https://www.fredchanglab.ucsf.edu/. Twitter: @fredchanglab