Abstract Submission Instructions
To get started, visit the "Submissions" menu at the top of the page. Then click the blue "+New" button to the right of "Abstract" at the bottom of the page.
Prior to beginning your submission, you must read and agree to the following:
- I have read, understand, and agree to the License and Publication Agreement.
- I have read, understand, and agree to the Policy on Research Misconduct by Authors.
- All authors’ knowledge of abstract submission.
- I have read, understand, and agree to the ASCB Use of Name Policy.
- I understand the Abstract submission fee is nonrefundable.
- I understand that there is no ability for virtual presentations, and I must present live in Boston in December.
- I understand the registration fee is separate from the abstract submission fee and the meeting registration is required for attendance.
Next, you must enter your abstract title. Please be sure to follow the following guidelines:
- Add Italics, superscript, and subscript.
- Only capitalize the first word. Do not use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- The abstract title is limited to 200 characters, including spaces.
If your title does not meet these requirements, it may be edited to conform to the rules. If it does not appear correct, you may adjust the title to correct for any proper or scientific names.
For each abstract submitted to the meeting, you must select a primary track, and may select an optional secondary track from this list:
- Cells in Distress and Disease: Cancer, Aging, Infection, Stress, Chemical Biology, and Therapeutics
- Cellular Dynamics: Compartmentalization, Trafficking, Cytoskeleton, Division, and Migration
- Cellular Genome: 4D Organization, Expression, Replication, and Repair
- Communal Cell: Development, Differentiation, Regeneration, Stem Cells, Organs, and Organoids
- Physical Cell: Bioengineering, Mechanobiology, and Synthetic Biology
- Signaling and Metabolism: Integrating Intra- and Intercellular Signaling, and Information Processing
- Specialized Cell and Evolution: Neurobiology, Immunology, and Emerging Model Systems
- Education, Professional Development. Diversity and Inclusion
Enter Author Name, Affiliation, Contact Information
Enter the first author on the abstract. Be sure to fill in each field that contains an asterisk (*) as those are required fields.
Some of the author information has been prepopulated from the profile information you logged in with. You may change or edit this information.
The person submitting will automatically appear as an author, please select Edit to update information, or if they are not an author, please delete.
The ASCB and EMBO require that audiences be informed of presenters, authors and contributors academic and professional affiliations, and disclosure of any significant financial interest or other relationship with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product(s) discussed in a presentation. This policy allows the listener/attendee to be fully informed in evaluating the information being presented. Disclosure includes any relationship that may bias one’s presentation or which, if known, could give the perception of bias. These situations may include, but are not limited to:
- stock options or bond holdings in a for-profit corporation or self-directed pension plan
- research grants
- employment (full-or part-time)
- ownership or partnership
- consulting fees or other remuneration
- non-remunerative positions of influence such as officer, board member, trustee, or public spokesperson
- receipt of royalties
- speakers bureau
Please DO NOT list universities as a place of employment. Please be sure to collect and include any and all conflicts of interest from all abstract authors prior to submission.
If you have nothing to disclose, click the checkbox that says, "I have nothing to disclose"
Click "Save and Continue" once you complete all steps for the author.
Add Additional Authors
Once you have entered the first author information, you will see how the author block will appear as well as the author name under the author information section. Click "Add Author" to add an additional author to the abstract. Follow the steps above for each author you are adding to the abstract.
Edit Author Order and Select Presenting Author
Once you have added all the authors, you can change who the presenting author is and the order of the authors as they will appear in the author block.
To change the Presenting Author, click "Change who is Presenting" and select the presenting author from the list. Then select "Save and Continue."
To change the order the authors are listed, click "Change the Order these Authors are Listed" and then use the drop down to put the authors in the appropriate order.
Review the Author Block and Author Disclosure Block
Once you have entered all authors, affiliations, and disclosures, check the Author Block box to make sure everything appears correctly. Then click "Save and Continue."
New this year, in order to be more accountable and transparent, we are collecting demographic information on the presenting author. It is mandatory that you reply to these questions but you are welcome to select "Prefer Not to Answer" for any or all of these questions.
Please indicate the presenting author career level (Drop Down)
- Professor or Equivalent
- Associate Professor or Equivalent
- Assistant Professor or Equivalent
- Postdoctoral Fellow or Equivalent
- Graduate Student
- Undergraduate Student
- Industry Scientist
- Non-Academic Adminstrator
- Research Associate/Staff Scientist
- Core Facilities Manager
- Lab Technician
- Other (please specify)
I most closely identify as (select one):
- Non-binary or gender non-conforming
- Prefer not to answer
- A gender not listed, please describe:
The ASCB acknowledges that some segments of society have been historically excluded from science. These historically excluded persons (HEP) include persons from the Black, Indigenous, and LatinX communities, people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and persons with disabilities and may also include persons in the LGBTQIA+ community.
Does the presenting author belong to one of these historically excluded communities?
- Prefer not to answer
- Does not apply
If yes, please indicate which community or communities the presenting author is a part of (select all that apply):
- Person from an economically disadvantaged background
- Person with a disability
- Person in the LBGTQIA+ Community
- Other, please specify
Which of the following best represents your race and ethnicity (check all that apply):
- Does not apply because I am not located in the United States or I am not a United States citizen
- Black, Afro-Caribbean, or African American
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish Origin
- Middle-Eastern or North African
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
- Prefer not to answer
Does the presenting author work at a Primarily Undergraduate Institute (PUI), Minority Serving Institution (MSI), Hispanic Serving Institute (HIS), Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) or Tribal College? (Drop Down)
- Prefer not to answer
- Enter your abstract using one of two methods:
- Type it into the site. Use editing tools as needed. To do this, click "Enter Abstract Text."
- Upload a Microsoft Word or Corel WordPerfect file. To do this, click "Upload a File Containing Your Abstract."
- Check the abstract preview to ensure all special characters and formatting converted properly.
- Do not enter any author information at any point in the Abstract Body. Your author information was generated in Step 1 and appears if you click “Preview With Author Block.
- The abstract text is limited to 2,400 characters, including spaces (~400 words). This limit includes the body of the abstract only. If your abstract exceeds this limit, you will be prompted to shorten it before being allowed to continue.
- You must have a minimum of 400 characters as well.
Please be sure your abstract contains the following prior to submission:
- A sentence stating the study’s objective
- A brief statement of methods, if pertinent
- A summary of the results obtained
- A statement of conclusion (it is not acceptable to state, “the results will be discussed”)
Once you are done, click "Save and Continue."
Publishing Status Question
You will be asked the publishing status of your research submitted in your abstract. At the time of submission, please indicate if:
- All or some of the research has been published
- Some of this research has been published
- All or some of this research has been published as a preprint
- None of the research has been published
Submission Type and Topics
If you submit by the August 1 deadline, you can choose up to three presentation options. If you select both talk and poster options, you will need to decide if you would like to give a poster if you are selected for a talk. The options are:
- Subgroup Talk: Your abstract will be considered for a talk in a Member-Organized Special Interest Subgroup. You will be asked to select the specific Subgroup topic from a drop down list. If you are selected for a Subgroup, you will not be considered for a Minisymposium.
- Minisymposium Talk: Your abstract will be considered for a talk in a Minisymposium.
- Poster: Your abstract will be considered for a poster presentation. If you select this option only, your abstract will not be reviewed for a talk.
Click the box next each presentation type that you want to be considered. Click here for more information about presentation types.
For Minisymposia, and Posters, you will be required to select a primary and secondary topic from the comprehensive topic list. Click here for a list of submission topics.
If you select Subgroup option, you will also have to select your preferred topic from the dropdown menus.
If you select a poster option in addition to a talk option, you will be asked if you are selected for a talk if you also would like to present a poster. You will have to answer this question before moving on to the next step.
Once you have completed this section, click "Save and Continue."
All abstracts submitted are accepted for a poster presentation if that option is selected unless they do not meet the minimum submission standards as outlined in the guidelines on the "Submission Guidelines" tab here. Submitting your abstract as talk only will not increase your chances of being selected for a talk.
Please enter your payment information. Payment is accepted via credit card. You can pay with VISA, Mastercard, or American Express.
If you are unable to pay by credit card and must pay via wire transfer, you are responsible to pay an amount that covers all fees and we must receive the wire transfer before the deadline. Therefore, please plan ahead and submit your abstract well before the deadline.
Fees for the August 1 and September 5 deadline are $85 for ASCB members and EMBO members and affiliates*, and $115 for nonmembers. Fees for the October 10 deadline are $110 for ASCB members and EMBO members and affiliates*, and $140 for nonmembers.
*If you are an EMBO Member, Lab member of an EMBO Member, EMBO Fellow, EMBO Young Investigator, EMBO Installation Grantee, or a lab member of an EMBO Young Investigator or Installation Grantee, please be sure to use the coupon code provided to you by EMBO to receive the member discount.
Please note: Once you have made your payment, your abstract is not complete. You will need to click continue to "Review Your Work"
On this page, you can do the following:
- Send yourself, and others, a confirmation of your submission by clicking on: "Click here if you would like to have a confirmation of your submission emailed to you."
- Print a printer-friendly version of your submission by clicking on: "Click Here for a Print-Friendly Version of Your Submission."
- Complete a survey to share feedback about your experience using our new abstract submission system.
- Review your completed submission for accuracy. To edit any of your work, you can click on the desired step on the left side of the submission page. You will be able to view:
- Control/Tracking Number
- Author Block how it will appear in publication.
- Author Disclosure Information
- Abstract Body how it will appear in publication.
- All presentation selections and topics selected.
- The date and time your credit card order was processed. You can also request a receipt by clicking where it says "Click Here to get a payment receipt."
- Delete your submission if it is before the abstract deadline. Please note if your abstract has already been assigned to a session, you will need to contact email@example.com to withdraw the submission.