Education and Professional Development Sessions
Deadline to apply has passed. Please check back in September for a list of accepted sessions.
ASCB members, committees, and outside organizations are invited to submit applications for sessions that focus on topics related to the scientific enterprise such as education, career development, international relations, science policy, communications, and/or diversity in the scientific workforce. A Task Force will review applications on the basis of relevance, intended audience, and audience engagement. Committees offering programs supported by external grant funding will also need to submit an application.
Note: Unless you are using existing grant funding, the Society does not pay any additional expenses such as speaker travel, registration, or other expenses. Anyone attending a session in any capacity (including invited speakers and organizers) must be paid registrants of the 2019 ASCB|EMBO Meeting. If speakers/organizers work at primarily undergraduate institutions (PUIs) or minority-serving institutions (MSIs), or work for a non-research organization/institution, we may make exceptions on a case-by-case basis to provide complimentary one-day meeting registration.
The application form is due by May 15 and requests the following information:
- Applicant and Co-Organizer(s), if applicable, contact information.
- Proposed session details, including:
- Proposed Session Title
- Proposed Session Description (including suggested speakers, keeping diversity in mind, and descriptions of any interactive components of your session)
- Proposed Speakers & Alternates (do not formally invite speakers until your session is accepted)
- Proposed Attendee Learning Outcomes (at least two)
- Description of Target Audience(s)
- AV needs, if any
- Proposed Length of Session: Select 50 minutes or 90 minutes. Please note this is only a request and accepted sessions might be scheduled into shorter time slots. Sessions outside of the exhibit hall, in a session room, that require Round Table seating on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday are limited to 50 minutes and will be held from 11:00 am to 11:50 am
- Theater-style or round table seating
- Number of Attendees Expected
- Audiovisual Needs
- Whether you will be presenting slides and whether this is a panel discussion
- Indication of existing grant funding, if available and applicable
- Affirmations. You will be asked to check the boxes agreeing to the following:
- You understand that all programming will be scheduled by the ASCB and no day/time change requests will be considered.
- You have read and agree to the terms as outlined in the Financial and Organizational Guidelines. You also understand that this is a competitive process and not all applications will be approved. You understand that the review committee may ask you to merge your session with another applicant or slightly alter the topic.
- Although you may have contacted potential speakers regarding their availability/interest you have not formally invited any of your speakers. If your application is accepted, you understand you will have 6 weeks to invite speakers and submit a complete session (including title, speakers and affiliations, and description for the program).