ASCB is searching for a graduate student Co-Chair of the Committee for Postdocs and Students (COMPASS; www.ascb.org/ about-compass), ASCB’s freshest committee. The graduate student Co-Chair, together with the postdoc Co-Chair, will serve in a leadership role for a one-year term, which can be renewed for an additional year, for a maximum term of two years total. The ideal attributes of a COMPASS graduate student Co-Chair are:
- Strong scientific leadership skills, interest, and time to serve the mission of the Society and COMPASS
- A demonstrated passion for addressing graduate student and postdoc issues
- Excellent communication, speaking, and writing skills
The goals of COMPASS are to:
- Create programming and resources that directly address the training and career development needs of graduate students and postdocs
- Promote opportunities for science advocacy and outreach that facilitate active engagement between young scientists and society n Increase the visibility of student and postdoc perspectives within the ASCB by authoring content for society publications and the ASCB website
- Foster community and connection between young scientist members of ASCB
Applications will be reviewed and approved by the ASCB Council. ASCB members interested in this unique leadership opportunity (or in nominating someone else) are asked to provide the following:
- Name of applicant
- Title, affiliation of applicant
- If a self-nomination, a one-page statement of why you want to be Co-Chair
- If a nomination of someone else, a one-page statement by the nominator of why the person would be a good Co-Chair. The person should know he or she is being nominated.
- Applicant’s CV
Please submit applications or questions to COMPASScochairsearch@ascb.org by November 1, 2015.