The ASCB and the Moscone Center encourage responsible drinking for those drinking alcohol. Beer, wine, nonalcoholic beer, and soft drinks will be offered at the Opening Night Reception on Saturday, December 15, and throughout the meeting dates. Alcohol will not be served to anyone under the age of 21; be prepared to show photo identification. Alcoholic beverages are allowed only in specific areas and must not be taken out of these areas.
Guest of Attendees
The ASCB has hired an official photographer for the meeting. Photographs taken at the 2012 ASCB Annual Meeting may be used in future ASCB publications, on the ASCB website, or in other Society materials. By registering for this meeting, you agree to allow the ASCB to use your photo in any ASCB-related publications or website.
Recording, Photography, Cell Phone, and Session Etiquette
While you are in a session, please mute all cell phones and other electronic devices. If necessary, please step out to the hallway to make a call, or send an email or text. The back-lighting on electronic devices is distracting in a dimmed room.
The Society does not permit photography or the electronic capture of scientific sessions in meeting rooms, or the Exhibit Hall. This policy also includes photographing colleagues against the backdrop of scientific posters on display without the express consent of the presenting author(s).
Session Room Behavior
If a session room becomes too crowded, the ASCB asks that you follow instructions provided by ASCB staff, the Moscone Center, or security. Instructions may include not standing against the walls, not blocking the aisles, or doors, or being denied entry if the room becomes too crowded.
The ASCB is obligated to abide by the guidelines established by the Fire Marshal in the Moscone Center. If a room reaches full capacity and we do not have your cooperation, the Fire Marshal has the authority to delay or terminate the meeting until the problems have been satisfactory corrected.
The Moscone Center is a smoke-free facility. Please refrain from smoking within 25’ of the lobby doors. It is illegal to smoke tobacco products in any public gathering space in California, including parks, restaurants, bars, stores, and office buildings. Smoking is permitted only in designated smoking areas.
The ASCB encourages the use of social media before, during, and after the 2012 Annual Meeting. Please note the following guidelines and accepted social media etiquette:
- Follow us on Twitter@AmerSocCellBio. Use the hash tags #ASCB for general information and #ASCB2012 for Annual Meeting-related tweets.
- Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/AmerSocCellBio.
- Blog and tweet about the meeting and what you are hearing and seeing (but without sharing details of any data presented; follow journal rules about data sharing).
- Provide feedback to ASCB staff and the Program Committee—discuss topics of interest and/or speakers for next year's meeting, make suggestions for Symposia, Minisymposia, translational or workshop sessions, comment on the meeting format, etc.
- Keep criticism constructive, and think about whether you'd like your thoughts shared widely—because they may be.
- Use photographic or other recording devices—these are prohibited in scientific sessions, poster sessions, and in the Exhibit Hall.
- Capture, transmit, or redistribute data presented at the meeting—this may preclude subsequent publication of the data in a scholarly journal.
Views expressed by speakers at the 2012 ASCB Annual Meeting are solely the views of the speaker. They do not necessarily represent the views of the ASCB. The ASCB makes no representation concerning, and does not guarantee, the source, originality, accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any statement, information, data, finding, interpretation, advice, opinion, or view presented by any speaker or poster presenter.
Waiver of Liability
Each individual attending the ASCB Annual Meeting assumes all risks associated with his or her attendance and participation in on-and offsite activities. Each individual attendee agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the ASCB and its governing bodies, officers, directors, employees, and/or agents from all loss, damage, or liability arising out of or related to his or her attendance at the 2012 ASCB Annual Meeting.