General Information and Goals
Under a grant from the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of General Medical Science (NIH/NIGMS), the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) Minorities Affairs Committee (MAC) is pleased to provide funding opportunities for faculty from Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) to participate in a variety of professional and student development activities with the ASCB MAC. Called the “ASCB MAC Linkage Fellows Program,” funding is provided for Fellows to support outreach and activities that promote cell biology at their home institutions.
The major goal of this program is to increase participation of faculty from MSIs to “serve as a link between the institution, its students, faculty and administration, and the ASCB MAC. The Linkage Fellows program is expected to be instrumental in the identification of applicants at the undergraduate and graduate level for MAC programs.
Applications will be judged utilizing the following criteria:
- Evidence of commitment to achieve the program goals
- Value of proposed activities
- Outreach plan to other local MSIs
The program allows for one-year renewable terms. Applicants will be notified of selections in May 2013.
Program Requirements and Awardee Responsibilities
Annual Linkage Fellows’ responsibilities include:
- Promoting cell biology education on the Linkage Fellow’s local campus and area campuses
- Attending the ASCB Annual Meeting in December and participating by:
- Bringing one or two student poster presenters to the ASCB Annual Meeting
- Attending the MAC Mentoring Symposium, MAC Poster Session, MAC Poster Awards Lunch, and E.E. Just Lecture
- Attending the Linkage Fellows meeting
- Participating in an appropriate developmental workshop
- Completing an annual Linkage Fellows evaluation/report
Fellows will be invited and encouraged to attend the MAC Programs. MAC annually hosts a Junior Faculty and Postdoctoral Developmental Workshop on topics of importance to this group.
The deadline is March 29, 2013. If funding is available, applications may be considered after the deadline. For 2013, only current Linkage Fellows can apply and request up to $1,000.
Note: The Linkage Fellows program reserves the right to make final awards based on the responsiveness of the applications to the program announcement, availability of funds, and NIH policies related to allowable costs.