About ASCB Fellows
Election as a Fellow of ASCB is an honor bestowed upon ASCB members by their peers. Fellows are recognized for their meritorious efforts to advance cell biology and/or its applications and for their service to the American Society for Cell Biology.
The ASCB Fellows award recognizes ASCB members who have made outstanding contributions to the field of cell biology and to the community of cell biologists through their service to ASCB. The ASCB Fellows program is committed to recognizing the breadth and diversity of the Society’s membership. Toward this end, Fellows will be nominated by their peers or through self-nomination, followed by evaluation and selection by a Fellows Nomination Review Committee. The list of approved Fellow nominees is reviewed and approved by the ASCB Council.
Fellow Eligibility and Evaluation
- Fellow nominees must have been a member of ASCB for at least 10 years of the 15 years leading up to the year of nomination and must be a member in good standing.
- A Fellow nominee must be a scientist whose research has had a significant and sustained impact on the field of cell biology.
- In general, it is expected that nominees will have served on an ASCB committee, or on ASCB Council, or as an ASCB Award reviewer.
- While value is placed both on service to ASCB and to scientific contributions, it is expected that the extent of contributions in each category will vary among the successful Fellows.
All Fellows will be recognized at the Annual Meeting and through the ASCB Newsletter and website. For a complete list of honors, see “How Fellows Are Honored” below.
Sponsor Eligibility Requirements
- Sponsors may nominate up to two Fellows in one year.
- Sponsors must be a current ASCB Regular or Emeritus member.
- ASCB members may self-nominate and are required to submit two support letters with their nomination form.
Award Nomination Packets
- A nomination form must be completed by the sponsor or self-nominator.
- Each nomination should be accompanied by two letters of support on letterhead; one letter must be from the Sponsor. Two support letters are also required for self-nominations. The two support letters should be informational, with a clear indication of the areas in which a nominee has contributed to the ASCB and their field and offer sufficient explanation to justify why these contributions merit election as a Fellow. One of the two support letters must not be affiliated with the nominee’s institution. It is the responsibility of the self-nominee to ensure the support letters are submitted to the ASCB by the deadline.
- The nominee’s full CV, which includes a list of top 10 publications and awards with emphasis on major contributions to cell biology, must be attached.
The sponsor or self-nominee is responsible for ensuring that all material is submitted by the deadline. Nominations received after the deadline or nomination packets with missing material at the time of the deadline will not be considered.
Fellow Review Process
The Fellow Nominations Review Committee, consisting of 10 ASCB Fellows and the current ASCB Council Secretary, is responsible for reviewing the Fellow nominations. Names of Fellow nominees, who are approved by the Nomination Review Committee, will be presented to the ASCB Council for approval on an annual basis.
Each nominee must receive the approval of the majority of the Fellow Nominations Review Committee members to be included in the slate of Fellow nominees to be presented to the Council for a final majority vote. Nominations may be challenged by any member of the ASCB Council during the voting process. Nominees not elected in the current cycle may be re-considered for a total of three consecutive nominating cycles. They will be eligible for re-nomination if the application is unsuccessful after consideration in three nominating cycles.
How Fellows Are Honored
- Elected Fellows will receive a plaque and pin and will be acknowledged at the Annual Meeting.
- Newly elected fellows will be invited to a reception or breakfast at the Annual Meeting.
- Fellows may be invited to appear in ASCB membership marketing efforts including videos and brochures.
- Newly elected Fellows will enjoy reserved seats at the front of the hall at the session in which they are honored at the ASCB Annual Meeting.
- Fellows may be asked to serve as advisors for ASCB white papers.
February 1, 2018: 2018 Fellows Nomination Cycle Opens
May 15, 2018, 11:59 pm EDT: Deadline for Receipt of All Nomination Materials
June: Fellows Nomination Review Committee reviews nominations
July: Council Vote
Immediately Following the Council Vote: Fellows will be contacted