Call the Philadelphia Visitor Information Center at 1-800-537-7676.
Weather/What to Wear
Philadelphia temperatures in December may vary, but are typically chilly. You should bring layers of clothing and be sure to have a sweater, jacket, or coat as well as an umbrella. Average temperatures in December average a high of 46°F/6°C to a low of 29°F/-2°C. The average rainfall is 3.4″/8.6 cm.
The average restaurant tip is 18-20% of the total check and is not included in the check. The average taxi tip is 15-20% of the fare. And airport and hotel baggage handlers should receive $2 per bag.
The sales tax is 8%, but not everything is taxed. Shopping in Philadelphia for apparel and shoes is tax free. Please visit http://www.discoverphl.com/visit/shop/taxfree for more information on shopping in Philadelphia.
Hotels in Philadelphia charge a 15.5% tax on the nightly room fee. Restaurants and Bars in Philadelphia charge an 8% sales tax on food, and a 10% sales tax on liquor.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is in the Eastern Time Zone. Daylight savings time is in effect from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November.
Smoking is permitted only in designated smoking areas.
Walk “smart” when you leave the Convention Center or your hotel:
- Know your destination and the best way to reach it.
- Travel along sidewalks in lighted areas at night, and don’t walk alone.
- Establish a “buddy” system with another attendee.
- Share schedules and check up on each other periodically.
- Build your awareness of unknown surroundings by reviewing local information.
- Secure your laptop computer, which is an attractive, easy target for thieves.
- Women can wear jackets with pockets instead of carrying a handbag that might get lost or stolen.